The History of Leith

October 7, 2011

A Renaissance mansion on the Coalhill

A very fine specimen of one of these Renaissance mansions, in which, however, later alterations had displaced the gable finials of the thistle and the rose for two chimneys, stood in the Coalhill until 1887, when it was taken down. It was a building of much historical interest, for it was closely associated with the leaders of the king’s men in the cruel civil strife that set in between them and the queen’s men after the unhappy Queen Mary had fled to her English prison. The gallant and chivalrous Kirkcaldy of Grange, with Maitland of Lethington, the Lairds of Restalrig and Drylaw, and other supporters of the hapless queen, unfurled her banner over the towers of Edinburgh Castle and determined to hold it in defence of her cause. Had the good Regent Moray not been cut off by assassination at Linlithgow all this trouble might not have arisen. His body had been brought by water to the Shore of Leith, where it was reverently received by the Guild of Hammermen, while the
sorrowing townsfolk, fearful of what the future might bring them, did honour to the dead regent by lining the streets as his body was taken to its burial in St. Giles’.

Source-The Story of Leith

Some Text