The History of Leith

September 12, 2011

The origins of Leith Academy

August 1792.— The Session being convened and constituted, Mr Macknight, Moderator, the Moderator requested that complaints having been long made of the present Grammar School house being damp, confined and otherwise unhealthy for the Boys. Several of the respectable inhabitants of Leith had resolved to make an application to the Town Council of Edinr. for ground to erect u new and well aired Schoolhouse and that as this application was intended to be made in the name of all the public bodies in Leith the Gentlemen concerned requested the concurrance of the Kirk Session asa public Body principally interested in the business. The Session having considered this request unanimously agreed to comply with it and Did and hereby Do authorise their Moderator in their name and behoof to join in the above application to the Town Council under this express provision that the intended plan shall in no wise injure their Rights as Patrons of the Grammar School of Leith.
(Note. — The Grammar School continued to meet in the old building at the churchyard until the year 1806 when it was transferred to the Links to become the Leith High School, now the Leith Academy.)

Some Text