The History of Leith

September 12, 2011

The family of Lamb

Februar 15, 1638.— The Sessione hes ordained ye heigh Seat nixt to Mr Andre Lambe his Seat that it sail be lockit up and reserved for the Searchers after ye Search.
(Note.—The family of Lamb has probably the longest connection with our church. In 1560 the representatives from Leith to the first General Assembly included Andrew Lamb, in whose house Queen Mary
on her return from France passed a whole day. Lamb’s Court was taken down about 1850, and its site is now occupied by part of Bernard’s Distillery (now removed). Another member of the family was Andrew Lamb, Bishop of Galloway, who in 1621 gifted to the Session five acres of land, now part of Seafield Cemetery. In his Deed the Bishop says that he and his predecessors had been born and brought up in Leith for 300 years. The gift was intended to provide for two pensioners in the Hospital, to be presented by the Bishop and his heirs, and this arrangement continued until the Hospital was taken down in 1822. In 1823 the Session made a new agreement with Colonel Cheyue, eldest son of Dr John Cheyne of Leith, heir and legal representative of Bishop Lamb. By this agreement the Session undertook to pay sixpence per day to each of the pensioners.The right of presentation was sold in 1895 to the Rev. Gildard Jackson, Rector of St. James. The pensions still continue to be paid.)

Source-South Leith Records

Some Text