The History of Leith

August 16, 2011

A Roman way and Causeway

In 1822, when enlarging the drain by which the old bed of the North Loch was kept dry, almost at the base of the Castle rock, portions of an ancient Roman causeway were discovered, four feet below the modern road. Another portion of a Roman way, composed of irregular rounded stones, closely rammed together on a bed of forced soil, coloured with fragments of brick, was discovered beneath the foundations of the Trinity College Church, when it was demolished in 1845.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text