The History of Leith

August 8, 2011

Precious Close

21 Ap. 1656.—James Stevenson report that Adam Gairns his land besyd ye new hospitall wch was called the stiffing house payes yearlie Ten pound sterling and the land in ye narrow close upo ye Shore bewast the broad wynd payes yearlie £20 sterling. So the session compones both ye lands for ane £100 scots.
(Note. —These were casualties due to the Session. “Stiffing” was an old word for starch. The close referred to may have been the Precious Close, a narrow cul-de-sac now removed)

Some Text