The History of Leith

August 8, 2011


26 of June 1656.—Anthoine Rosewell, Janies Cutler and John Young Tailzr are desyred to goe to the North Kirk Session of Leith to intimat unto them that ye Counsell of State in Scotland efter ye sight of ane reference (from his heighness The Lord Protector) haith appoynted the south congregation of Leith to have the use of the north kirk to preach in for a tyme until the Magasin be removit from ye south paroch unto ye Citidal, at which tym the south congregatioun are to be restored to yr owne south kirk again, God willing.

(Note.—”Magasin” means war stores. The inference from this Minute is that the stores of the army— provisions, guns, horses, etc.—were kept in and about South Leith church, which formed the headquarters of the garrison until these were removed to the Citadel. The Citadel of North Leith was one of the great fortifications built by Cromwell—”passing fair and sumptuous.” To make way for it, the burial place of North Leith was removed to the banks of the Water of Leith, where it remains still as a witness to the warlike energy of the great Protector. A description of the Citadel will be found in the histories of Leith. The main entrance, a strong archway thirty feet deep, may still be seen leading off Dock Street.)

Some Text