The History of Leith

August 3, 2011

LEITH AMUSEMENTS

LEITH AMUSEMENTS FROM 1790 7
‘Tales and Traditions of Leith’ William Hutchison; Decline in Leith’s population, business and amusements.
Theatres in chronological order, some of which became picture houses: 10 Amphitheatre, Leith Walk, 1790; Assembly Rooms, Leith, 1864; Theatre, Junction Street, 1865; New Theatre, Bangor Road, 1887; Leith Music Hall, Market Street, 1865; Leith Theatricals, Bonnington Road/ Junction Street, 1865; Leith Royal Music Hall, St Andrew’s Street/Tolbooth Wynd, 1867;Theatre Royal MacArte’s Temple of Varieties, South Junction Street, 1867; Whitfield Hall, 65 Leith Walk, 1874; New Star Music Hall, Foot of Leith Walk, 1874; Princess Theatre, Kirkgate, 1889 – Gaiety Theatre,Kirkgate, 1899 se under The Gaiety, Kirkgate; New Theatre, Bangor Road, 1888; Iona Street Theatre, 1899; Alhambra Theatre of Varieties, Leith Walk, 1914 – closed as a cinema in 1958; Atmospheric Theatre, 1929- The Pringle’s Theatre, 1931- The Studio Theatre, 1932 – Repertory Theatre, 1933 – Festival Theatre, 1935 – Broadway Theatre, 1936 – Gateway Theatre, 1946 – see under 41 Elm Row.for more click here

Some Text