The History of Leith

July 27, 2011

Doctor of ye grammar school

12 June 1693.—The session being convened to receive Mr John Anderson, doctor of ye grammar school of ye Canongate, to be yr schoolmaster and ye beadel having called 3 several tymes if there was any yt had anything to object to him but none’eompeared, then the session went to ye school and after the minister had exorted him to ye duties incumbent on him he was received and got ye keys of ye school door delivered to him upon ye same conditions yt those had yt were formerly in that place.
(Note.—This appointment to the grammar school was intimated from the pulpit, and the candidate had previously to appear before the Presbytery. He received £5 stg. to transport himself and his family to
Leith.)

Some Text