The History of Leith

July 13, 2011

Meeting-House Green (Now removed)

Previous to the Revolution of 1688 a separation of the congregation of South Leith Parish Church is recorded in the church at Leith, those who adhered to prelacy;, occupying the latter, while the pure Presbyterians formed a separate party at the Meeting-House Green, near the Sheriff (Shirra) Brae. The latter, belonging to North as well as South Leith, were permitted to meet there for prayer and sermon, by special permission of King James in 1687, Mr. William Wishart being chosen minister of that congregation.

Some Text