The History of Leith

July 12, 2011

Water Lane and Rattins

The ancient street named Water Lane, with all its adjacent alleys, is not included in this scheme of removal and improvement. It runs tortuously, at an angle, from the foot of the Kirkgate to
Bernard Street, and is about seven hundred yards in length. This thoroughfare was anciently called the Rotten Row ; and in the map given by Robertson in his ” Antiquities,” that name is borne by an
alley near the foot of it, running parallel with Chapel Lane.
In the inventory of ” Pious Donations ” made to the Brethren Predicators in Edinburgh, under date 14th May, 1473, is one by ” John Sudgine, of 30s. 4d. out of his tenement of Leith on the south
side of the water thereof, between Alan Nepar’s land on the east, and Rotten Row on the west.” Alan Napier’s land, ” on the east side of the common vennel called the Ratounrow,” is referred
to in King James III.’s charter to the Black Friars, under the same date. (” Burgh Charters,” No. 43.) It was so named from being built of houses of rattins, or rough timber.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text