The History of Leith

July 5, 2011

The reason for the “Leith Improvement Scheme” of 1880

MUCH of what we have been describing in Leith have long be swept away, for after some years of negotiation^the great “Leith Improvement Scheme” of 1880 arranged, and the loan necessary to carry it out was granted.
Early in 1877 the Provost drew attention to the insanitary condition of certain portions of the burgh, more especially the crowded and central area lying between St. Giles’s Street and the Coal Hill. In the area mentioned the death rate amounted to twentysix per thousand., or five per cent, above that of any other part of Leith, while the infantile mortality reached the alarming rate of fifty-six per thousand.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text