The History of Leith

June 23, 2011

Landmarks within the Canongate Parish-2

GULLAN’S CLOSE: Near here, in the White Horse Inn, at the corner of St Mary’s Wynd, Dr Johnson stayed when he came to Scotland with Boswell.

HOLYROODHOUSE: The Palace of the Kings and Queens of Scotland, and the residence of the Lord High Commissioner during the sitting of the General Assembly.

HUNTLY HOUSE: 1570, now the City Museum but formerly the residence of the Gordon family.

LOGHEND CLOSE: Now largely removed. Here lived Old Jeems (see John Brown’s Essays).

LODGE KILWINNING: The organ of 1757 is still in use. Burns was Poet Laureate of this famous Masonic Lodge.

MILTON HOUSE: Part of the old walls have been preserved. The Duke of Roxburghe lived here and later Andrew Fletcher, Lord Milton. Rebuilt and now a school.

MORAY HOUSE: c. 1628. Cromwell stayed here twice, in 1648 and 1650, and the last Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, Lord Seafield, lived here before the Treaty of 1707, which was signed in part in the summerhouse. Now a school and training college for teachers.

PANMURE HOUSE: Formerly the home of the Earls of Panmure; later the home, for the last twelve years of his life, of Adam Smith, author of The Wealth cj Nations. Now given by Mr Roy Thomson for the Canongate Boys’ Club headquarters.

OLD PLAYHOUSE CLOSE: c. 1630. The theatre was opened in 1747 and closed in 1787; in 1756 John Home’s Douglas was presented here. John Frederick Lampe for a time led the orchestra. Now part of the Canongate Boys’ Club.

QUEENSBERRY HOUSE: Built in the reign of Charles II by Lord Hal ton, later third Earl of Lauderdale, and sold to the first Duke of Queensberry; the third Duchess was a great patroness of the arts and sheltered the poet Gay. Later the house became a barracks and is now a home and hospital for old people. Now part of the Scottish Parliament

QUEEN MARY’S BATH HOUSE: One of the posterns of the Abbey.

source-The Kirk in the Canongate

Some Text