The History of Leith

June 10, 2011

The Church Clock at South Leith

25th October 1605 it was finally agreed by the Session that Robert Mitchell shall take over from Thomas Bunkhill who had died and carry all the normal ditties connected to the Clock. However he will fee paid twenty pounds per year.
(Editors note-see entry 11th July 1594 South Lelth Parish church had one of the earliest church clocks” in Scotland, The term used for a clock was “knok”}

source-South Leith Records

Some Text