The History of Leith

June 9, 2011

Laver or Basin made of hammered Silver

8 Octor. 1647.—Our Bailies James Eilies and David Wilkie giftit to our Kirk Sessione yis day ane silver Laver for the use of ye Kirk of South Leith. Ordains that ye silver warke, viz.:—The two great bassins, the four great coups and yis laver be dely vered to Jhone bowie pnt thesaurer as also ye lining clothes yat appertains to ye kirke.
(Note.—This handsome Laver or Basin made of hammered Silver is the baptismal basin of the Church, and continues to be in constant use. The rim, which is flat, bears this inscription—”Gifted to the South
Kirk of Leith by James Rucheid and James Elles and David Vilkie Bailies 1647.”)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text