The History of Leith

June 8, 2011

The Trinity House

22 Jun 1682.—The session enacts (nemine contradicente) that yr shall be a school doctor and a precentor in two distinct persons because one man is not able for both charges without neglecting one of ym. The session this day anent ye schoolmr leeting . . . to tryall referrs to ye ministers to try ym and for trying ym in arithmetick Bailie Hay Capt Ross and Capt Burnet. It being this day represented by the Mrs of ye seamens hospital that yr is 100 merks of school rent owing from Martimas 79 to Whitsonday 82 the thesaurer is desyred to pay it as soon as he can.
(Note.—The seamen’s hospital was the Trinity House. King James Hospital belonged to the other three incorporations, hence the three masters. In a Minute of the year 1793 it is called St. Anthony Hospital.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text