The History of Leith

June 6, 2011

Caitchhall.)

23 Now. 1651.—The which day was the first day Mr Jon Weir our pastor (immediately efter his returning horn) did convene the scattered congregaone of South Leith together (being ye Lords day) and preached to ym in the Caitchhall at the foot of the Cannongaite.
(Note.—The Caitchhall was the Royal Tennis Court just outside the Water Gate, and adjacent to the Palace”. The game was then known as ” Caitche pelle.” It has been suggested that the curious building
known as Queen. Mary’s Bath-house may have been used as a bath-house in connection with the Caitchhall.)

Some Text