The History of Leith

June 1, 2011

The Planting of North Leith Parish Church

Due to the absences of David Lindsay the minister of South Leith caused by State business a second minister was appointed and his stipend was paid for by the four Incorporations of Leith along with the Kirk Session. John Durie was the first to hold this position in 1570-74 followed by James Logan (1591- 1593). However during the term of George Sempill (1593-1596) as minister of the Second Charge at South Leith that a very important decision was made by presbytery on the 25th Nov 1595 to “Plant a Kirk” in North Leith at which time came under the Parish of the Canongate. This was due to North Leith coming
under Holyrood in Pre-Reformation Times. It was John Brand, Minister of the Canongate and David Lindsay who were appointed to officiate at the “Planting”. By 1606 the Kirk of St Ninian in North Leith was erected into a Parish Kirk by Act of Parliament. Which means the Parish of North Leith is in fact three years older then South Leith.

Some Text