The History of Leith

May 13, 2011

The earliest notice

The earliest notice we have of St. Mary’s Church (South Leith) is in 1490, when Peter Falconer gifted the annual rent of a house in ” the Lees,” the district in and around Yard-heads School and Henderson Gardens, for the maintenance of the chaplain of St. Peter’s Altar in the new Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Leith. A few years later, in 1499, Gilbert Edmonston similarly endowed the Altar of St. Barbara.

Source-The Story of Leith

Some Text