The History of Leith

May 12, 2011

Tibbie Fowler of the Glen

As everyone knows, there is a famous maiden of Scottish song known as ” Tibbie Fowler of the Glen,” who was endowed with much wealth but little beauty. Her wealth, however, brought her lovers if her looks did not and Tibbie was besieged with wooers. Now, acording to Leith tradition, this much-courted lass lived in the great mansion that once stood at the head of what is now Sheriff Brae, and had for so many generations belonged to a branch of the Logans. Tradition further asserts that George, a son of the forfeited conspirator, repaired his fallen fortunes by winning the hand of the wealthy Tibbie, to the utter discomfiture of the rest of the ” ane-and-forty wooin’ at her,” and that with Tibbie’s tocher he built the large house from which he could view all that chanced between it and the mouth of the harbour.

The great mansion-house of the Logans of Sheriff Brae, like Pilrig and other old Scots manor-houses, was decorated with the initials of the owner and his wife. These carved stones are now built into the rear of St. Thomas’s manse, but the initials inscribed on them are certainly not those of George Logan and the weel-tochered Tibbie. They are those of John Logan of Couston, in Linlithgowshire, and his wife, Mary Caire, who either rebuilt or repaired their mansion on the Sheriff Brae in 1636. Their son James was the last of the Logans to be connected with Leith. The house and grounds were eventually bought by Sir John Gladstone in 1840, and on their site he erected St. Thomas’s Church and schools
as a memorial of his own and his father Thomas’s connection

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text