The History of Leith

May 12, 2011

The Three Lords of Restalrig

When the Church of Scotland was made Episcopalian, in accordance with the policy of Charles II., Lord Balmerino, Sir Patrick Nisbet of Craigentinny, and Sir William Purves at Abbeyhill became its staunch supporters in South Leith. The Nisbets died out in 1764, when Craigentinny became the property of William Miller, the Quaker merchant of what is now Holyrood Road. It was his son and heir, William Henry Miller, who bequeathed ?o much money to build the beautiful mausoleum beneath which he now lies, and which forms such an arresting object in the landscape to all who pass to Portobello by car.

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text