The History of Leith

May 5, 2011

Rood of Greenside

In December, 1520, the Provost (Robert Logan of Coalfield), the Bailies and Council, again conferred the ground and place of ” the Greensyde to the Freris Carmelitis, now beand in the Ferry, for
their reparation and bigging to be maid,” and Sir Thomas Cannye was constituted chaplain thereof. From this it would appear that the friary had been in progress, and that till ready for their reception the priests were located at the Queensferty, most probably in the Carmelite monastery built there in 1380 by Sir George Dundas of that ilk. . In October, 1525, Sir Thomas, chaplain of the place and kirk of the Rood of Greenside, got seisin thairof be the guid town,”and delivered the keys into the hands of the magistrates in favour of Friar John Malcolmson, pro marerall(sic) of the ordour.”

source-Od and New Edinburgh

Some Text