The History of Leith

May 4, 2011

The area of George IV Bridge Edinburgh c1883

On the ground between Robert Courly’s house and Beith’s Wynd we now find some of those portions of the new city which have been engrafted on the old. In Melbourne Place, at the north end of
George IV. Bridge, are situated many important offices, such as, amongst others, those of the Royal Medical Society, and the Chamber of Commerce and Manufactures, built in an undefined style of
architecture, new to Edinburgh. Opposite, with its back to the bridge, where a part of the line of Liberton’s Wynd exits, is built the County Mali, presenting front to the lawnmarket and to St
Giles’s. The last of these possesses no common beauty, as it has a very lofty portico of finely-fluted columns, overshadowing a flight of steps leading to the main entrance, which is modelled after the
choragic monument of Thrasyllus, while the ground plan and style of ornament is an imitation of the Temple of Erechthetus at Athens. It was erected in 1817, and contains several spacious and lofty coon-rooms, with apartments for the Sheriff and other functionaries employed in the business of the county, The hall contains a fine statue of Lord Chief Baton Duadis, by Chantrey.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text