The History of Leith

May 4, 2011

Heads on the Tolbooth

The ornamental north gable of the Toibooth was never seen without a human head stuck thereon in “the good old times.” In 1581 “the prick on the highest stone” bore the head of the Regent
Morton, in 1650 the head of the gallant Montrose, till ten years subsequently it was replaced by ‘hat of his enemy Argyle.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text