The History of Leith

April 28, 2011

Royal Leith Volunteers,

In 1795 was established the corps of Royal Leith Volunteers, who received their colours on Leith Links on the 26th of September. A detachment of the Royal Edinburgh Volunteers kept the ground The colours were presented by the Lord Lieutenant to Captain Bruce, of the corps, brother to Bruce of Kermet; and in 1797 120 ship-captains of Leith—to their honour be it recorded in that time of European war and turmoil—made a voluntary offer to serve the country in any naval capacity that was suitable to their position.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text