The History of Leith

April 22, 2011

The custom-house of Leith

The present custom-house of Leith was built in 1812, on the site where H.M. ship fury was built in 1780; and an old native of Leith, who saw her launched, had the circumstance impressed upon his memory, as he related to Robertson (whose “Antiquities” were published in 1851), “by a carpenter having been killed by the foiling of the shores.”
The edifice cost £12,617, is handsome, and inthe Grecian style, adorned in front with pillars and pediment It stands at the North Leith end of the lower drawbridge.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text