The History of Leith

April 20, 2011

Walter, first Earl of Buccleuch

Walter, first Earl of Buccleuch, commander of a Scottish regiment under the States of Holland, having died in London in the winter of 1634, his body was embalmed, and sent home by sea in a Kirkcaldy ship, which, after being sorely tempest tossed and driven to the coast of Norway, reached Leith in the June of the following year, when the earl’s remains were placed in South Leith church, where they lay for twenty days, till the Clan Scott mustered, and a grand funeral was accorded them at Hawick, the heraldic magnificence of which had rarely been seen in Scotland, while the mourning trumpets wailed along the banks of the Teviot A black velvet pall, powdered with silver tears, covered the coffin, whereon lay “the defunct’s helmet and coronet, overlaid with cypress, to showthat he had been a soldier.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text