The History of Leith

April 4, 2011

Caitche pelle

23 Now. 1651.—The which day was the first day Mr Jon Weir our pastor (immediately
efter his returning horn) did convene the scattered congregaone of South Leith together
(being ye Lords day) and preached to ym in the Caitchliall at the foot of the Cannongaite.
(Note.—The Caitchhall was the Royal Tennis Court just outside the Water Gate, and adjacent to the Palace”. The game was then known as “Caitche pelle.” It has been suggested that the curious building known as Queen Mary’s Bath-house may have
been used as a bath-house in connection with the Caitchhall.)

Source-South Leith Records

Some Text