The History of Leith

April 2, 2011

Leith Headcourt

14 Aprill 1646.—This day being ane headcourt day all uyr processes were conteinued
becaus ye Sessione must desolve and attend ye provost and bailies and consell of Edr yr down coming.
(Note.—This is the first mention in the minutes of a “head-court.” The Courts in Leith were conducted in the Tolbooth by the two bailies appointed for Leith by the Edinburgh Town Council, to keep order there and enforce the rights belonging to them as superiors. They may have come down to Leith as they did to Newhaven, where once a year they came
to the Parliament Square.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text