The History of Leith

March 30, 2011

The Weigh House and the Kings Wark

In 1575 the Kings Wark had been converted into a hospital for the plague-stricken ; but when granted to Bernard Lindsay in 1613, he was empowered to keep four taverns in the buildings, together with the tennis-court, for the then favourite pastime of catchpel. It continued to be used for that purpose till the year 1649, when it was taken possession
of by the magistrates of Edinburgh, and converted into a weigh-house.

Source-The Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text