The History of Leith

March 30, 2011

Glass Making

North of Baltic Street arc the old Glass Works-The Bottle House Company, as it was named, began to manufacture glass vessels in North Leith in 1746, but their establishment was burnt down during the first year of the partnership. Thus, in 1747 the new brick houses were built on the sands of South Leith, near the present Salamander Street, and as the demand for bottles increased, they built an additional one in 1764, though, according to Bremner Glass had been made in Leith from 1682

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text