The History of Leith

March 24, 2011

The Gladstone family

People of Leith are not likely to forget that the vicinity of the Sheriff Brae is a district inseparably connected with the name of Gladstone, and readers of Hugh Miller’s interesting ” Schools and Schoolmasters ” will scarcely require to be reminded of
the experiences of the stone-mason of Cromarty, in his visit to this quarter of Leith.
In Peter Williamson’s Directory for Edinburgh and Leith, 1786-8, we find—”James Gladstones, schoolmaster, No. — Leith,” and “Thomas Gladstones, flour and barley merchant, Coal Hill.” His shop, long since removed, stood where a wood-yard is now, James was uncle, and Thomas the father, of Sir John Gladstone of Fasque, who built the
church and almshouses so near where his thrifty forefathers earned their bread.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text