The History of Leith

March 23, 2011

Restalrig as described in c1885

In 1605, Sir James Eiphinstone, first Lord Balmerino, became proprietor of the lands of
Quarry Holes after the ruin of Logan of Restalrig. The Upper Quarry Holes were situated on the declivity of the Cahon Hill, at the head of the Easter Road, and allusion is made to them in some trials for witchcraft in the reign of James VI.
At the foot of this road a new Free Church for South Leith was erected in 1881, and during the excavations four human skeletons were discovered— those of the victims of war or a plague.
Eastward of this, cut off on the south by the line of the North British Railway, and partially by the water of Lochend on the west, lies the still secluded village of Rcstalrig, which, though in the immediate vicinity of the city, seems, somehow, to have
fallen so completely out of sight, that a vast portion of the inhabitants appear scarcely to be aware of its existence ; yet it teems with antiquarian aod historical memories, and possesses an example of ecclesiastical architecture the complete restoration of which has been the desire of many generations of men of tasle, and in favour of which the late
David Laing wrote strongly—the ancient church of St Triduana.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text