The History of Leith

March 13, 2011

The Baron Bailie

By an Act of Parliament passed in 1587 the prcceptory of St. Anthony
and the chapĀ«l of St James at Newhaven were, with other benefices, annexed to the Crown.
Maitland observes that the vestry of Leith, after the Reformation, having purchased the lands and properties of diver* religious
houses there and in Newhaven, King James VI. granted and confirmed the same by charter in 1614 for the use of the poor.
The Session elected the Baron Bailie of St, Anthony, who exercised jurisdiction0 in Ieith and Newhaven, holding his court at will and giving sentence without appeal,

Some Text