The History of Leith

March 1, 2011

North Leith-c1885

North Leith is bounded on the north by the Firth of Forth, on the south and ea&t by the stream which gives its name to the whole locality, dividing it from South Leith, and on the south and west by St. Cuthbert’s. It is oblong in form, and has an area of only 517 acres. Its surface is nearly a uniform level, and with the exception of some
garden grounds is covered by streets and villas. Between North Ieith and Newhaven the coast has been to a considerable extent washed away by the encroaching waves of the Firth, but has now received
the aid of strong stone bulwarks to protect it from further loss.
The Links of North Leith, which lay along the coast, were let in 1595 at the annual rent of six merks, while those of South Leith were let at a rent of thirty, so the former must have been one-fifth of the extent of the latter, or a quarter of a mile long by three hundred yards in breadth, For many years the last vestiges of these have disappeared ;
and what must formerly have been a beautiful and grassy plain is now an irreclaimable waste, where not partially occupied by the railway and goods station, regularly flooded by the tide, and displaying at low water a thick expansion of stones and pebbles, washed free from mould or soil.

source-Old and New Edinburgh c1885

Some Text