The History of Leith

March 1, 2011

Early Leith

The earliest reference to Leith in history is in King David’s famous charter to Holyrood, circa 1143-1147, wherein he gives the water, fishings, and meadows to the canons serving God therein, ” and
Broctan, with its right marches; and that Inverlet which is nearest the harbour, and with the half of the fishing, and with a whole tithe of all the fishing that belongs to the church of St Cuthbert”
This charter of King David is either repeated or quoted in all subsequent grants by charter, or purchases of superiority, referring to Leith; and by it there would seem to have been in that early age
some species of harbour where the Lcith joins the Firth of Forth ; but there is again a reference to it in 1313, when all the vessels there were burned by the English during the war waged by Edward II., which ended in the following year at Bannockbum.

Some Text