The History of Leith

February 5, 2011

The Commercial Bank of Scotland


Click on image to enlarge

Commercial Banking Co of Scotland was founded in Edinburgh in 1810 as a co-partnership to provide banking facilities to commercial, industrial and agricultural businessmen of modest means. It had 16 directors, including Henry Cockburn, Forrest Alexander and James Wyld. As a joint-stock bank with substantial capitalisation (authorised capital £3,000,000 of which £450,000 was initially called up) and large shareholding (673 shareholders by 1815) it presented a considerable challenge to the existing public banks. for more click here

Some Text