The History of Leith

January 17, 2011

The Administration of Education.

From the Reformation down to the beginning of the nineteenth century the kirk session of South Leith town, maintaining two schools—a grammar school for higher education and a school for the poor where the children were taught to read the Scriptures. In 1806 the grammar school was transferred from the Kirkgate (where the accommodation
had left a great deal to be desired) to the Links, where a new school, the High School, had been erected, the necessary money having been raised by subscription among the citizens of the town. In 1848 the ” High School Trust ” was vested in the magistrates and council of Leith, along with the two ministers of South Leith. This Trust managed the school until 1872.

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text