The History of Leith

December 1, 2010

The ruined Chapel and Hermitage of St. Anthony

The ruined Chapel and Hermitage of St. Anthony on the rocky spur of Arthur’s Seat, overlooking St. Margaret’s Loch and the Firth of Forth, are popularly believed to have been closely connected with the Hospital
at Leith, and even to have been built by its canons. Now there is no other foundation for these statements than the similarity of name of the two foundations ; for if we have few charters belonging to St. Anthony’s Hospital, we have none at all to tell us who founded the Chapel on Arthur’s Seat.

(note-This was the position in 1922 however since then records for the chapel have been found)

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text