The History of Leith

November 30, 2010


At Shrubhill was the Gallow Lee, which was excavated to form Leith Walk Raiway Station,Here stood the gallows tree,a permanent erection in old days,From it ( the bodies of nolorious criminals like Chiesly of
Dairy, after being dipped in tar, were hung in chains, and swayed eerily to and fro with every gust of wind. Towards the end of the eighteenth century the Low Walk was raised to the level of the High Walk, and in 1804 the great roadway was causewayed, a toll being erected at Pilrig to defray the expense. The tollkeeper’s shelter afterwards became the policeman’s box at the end of Albert Street, where its successor has formed a feature in Leith Walk for many years. Leith Walk then developed into the spacious thoroughfare we know it to-day.

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text