The History of Leith

November 12, 2010

The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers

The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, now based at Muirfield, holds the distinction of being the oldest organized golf club in the world, although the game of golf is several centuries older. The club’s records date continuously back to 1744, when it produced thirteen “Rules of Golf” for its first competition which was played at Leith Links for the “Silver Club”. The first competition was won by John Rattray, who signed the rules and became the first club captain.[1] The club played on the five holes at Leith Links for nearly a century, but overcrowding forced a move in 1836 to Musselburgh Old Course’s 9-hole Old Course. Musselburgh, like many prestigious Scottish courses including St Andrews, is a public course, and this course also eventually became too crowded for the liking of the HCEG’s members. for more click here

Some Text