The History of Leith

November 9, 2010

Glass Making in the Citadel-1663

On Christmas Eve 1663 Scotland’s first newspaper, the Kingdom’s Intelligencer—also produced at the Citadel—carried an advertisement:

“A Remarkable Advertisement to the Country and Strangers. That there is a Glass-house erected on the Citadel of Leith, where all sorts and quantities are made and sold at the prices following, to wit, the wine glass at three shillings two boddels, the beer glass at two shillings six pence; the quart bottel at eighteen shillings, the pynt bottel at nine shillings, the chopin bottel at four shillings six pence, the muskin (mutchkin) bottel at two shillings sixpence, all Scots money, and so forth of all sorts, conform to the proportion of the glass; better stuff and stronger than is imported.”
Pape (the owner) expected the business to pay handsomely in a country where all glass had to be imported. In fact the trade was very slow. Every kind of glass was produced at the Citadel, except window glass, but the maker soon had enough stock in hand to supply the needs of the whole country—or so he claimed.

source-Old Leith at Work,James Scott Marshall

Some Text