The History of Leith

November 3, 2010

Biscuit Making.

In the firm of Messrs. William Crawford and Sons Leith possesses the oldest of the Scottish biscuit manufacturers. It was in 1813 that Mr. William Crawford founded the business in a small shop at the Shore of
Leith, which, enlarged and modernized, is still occupied by one of his descendants. It immediately fronts the spot where in 1822 George IV. landed on his visit to Scotland. As every fresh step in the science and art of bread and biscuit making, and every improvement in machinery and method, were welcomed by the founder of the firm, increasing trade quickly outgrew the capacity of the original small premises at the Shore. Modern works were established in Elbe Street. These have been
frequently extended and largely rebuilt as the firm progressed, and no trouble or expense has been spared to keep the works equipped with all that is latest and best in machinery and appliances. Crawford’s shortbread and Crawford’s biscuits have attained a national reputation,
and have become widely known in some of the remotest parts of the globe. The factory affords employment to hundreds of Leith men and girls.

source-The Story of Leith 1922

( current history-United Biscuits (Holdings) plc is the leading biscuit (cookie and cracker) maker in the United Kingdom and one of the leading biscuit makers in Western Europe. Active in seven Western European nations, United Biscuits (UB) owns a number of leading national biscuit brands, including McVitie’s (United Kingdom), BN (France), Delacre (France and Belgium), and Verkade (the Netherlands). for more click here

Some Text