The History of Leith

October 8, 2010

KING JAMES’S HOSPITAL.

Maitland tells us in his history that this hospital stood on the eastern side of the Kirkgate and at the south-west corner of the churchyard; that it was founded by the kirk session in the year 1614 and endowed with certain lands and tenements anciently belonging to the preceptory
of St. Anthony of the Knights Templars and the chapel of St. James. He mentions also that it was appropriated for the entertainment of aged women belonging to the crafts of maltmen, trades and traffickers, the number of the inmates seldom being greater than twelve, each of whom had a convenient apartment with fire and candles and a weekly pension for their subsistence.

This foundation being confirmed by a Charter of King James VI.. it received the appellation of King James’s Hospital. The situation of the hospital is well marked by the line of tombs in the Kirkgate, where it
stood until the year 1822. The first title dealing with the property is a Sasine which followed upon a charter of 1496 granted by Simeon
Logan to William Lauder and his spouse, wherein it is described as lying betwixt the kirkyard of the new kirk of the Blessed Virgin Mary in
Leith on the north, the lands of Simeon Logan on the south, the common way going up from Leith towards Edinburgh on the west, and the land of St. Christopher’s on the east parts. This is one of the earliest references to the Kirkgate, which probably became a roadway after South Leith church had been built for some time.
The part of Leith where houses were first erected was probably the area north of the Tolbooth Wynd and lying between the Rottenraw
and the Shore. This district used to be called the ” closets,” because of the narrowness of the passages, and it still is densely covered
with buildings. Outwith this area there were numerous mansion houses, Leith having been a fashionable place of residence since the days
of Mary of Guise, who built a house here, and whose example was followed by ” divers of the nobility, bishops and other persons of distinction of her party.” Maitland, writing in 1753, says that several of their houses then remained, ” as may be seen in sundry places by their
spacious rooms, lofty ceilings, large staircases, and private oratories or chapels for the celebration of Mass.”

The titles relating to the site of the hospital seem to have been numerous, and it is difficult to follow the various transactions, but they
hardly bear out what the histories tell us, viz., that the hospital was built in 1614. Some familiar names are met with, e.g., Robert Logan
of Restalrig (1559) ; James Logan of Craighouse (1559); Andrew Logan of Coatfield (1618); Bailie Alexander Uddert of Edinburgh (1573); John Balfour, Unicorn Pursevant (1559). In 1618 the kirk session made a contract to purchase the subjects in question from one Patrick Balfour for 900 merks. The lands were thereupon resigned in the hands of the town council of Edinburgh, the superiors thereof, upon which
a Charter was granted by the city to the kirk session, which declared that the subjects were conveyed for the use of the South Kirk of Leith,
and chiefly for the augmentation of the kirkyard thereof. Upon this Charter sasine followed on llth August 1618.

Another series of titles deals with a house near the kirk lying betwixt Balfour’s property on the south, the kirk style on the north, the kirk yard on the east, and the high street on the west. A charter of this property was granted by the kirk session to Henry Hall in 1598, which bears the signatures of the ministers, elders and deacons, with the seal of the kirk and session attached. This interesting title has
often been referred to, and a reproduction of the seal is given in the first volume of the Records. It is a fortunate circumstance that the original document with the seal, all in good condition, are now restored to the church. In 1619 James Hall reconveyed the property to the kirk session, in whose hands it has remained since that date.

The kirk session minutes of date 11th March 1736 refer to an enquiry made about that time into the superiorities of St. Anton’s and St. James and anent the King James Hospital, and a narrative detailing the result of this enquiry is appended to the register of that period. This narrative states that King James IV., having purchased from the Abbot and Convent of Holyroodhouse the superiority of Newhaven, consisting of 143 acres, in exchange for 112 acres of his own land at Linlithgow as per Charter dated 18th July 1505, did for the maintenance of the chaplain of St. James’s gift to him the whole annuals of the lands at Newhaven and gave an order on his bailie there to pay over the same, dated 2nd March 1508. Conform to this and other rights, the chaplains enjoyed the feus till the Reformation, and Mr John Balfour, chaplain at that time, did continue to enjoy the same long after. After his decease King James VI. made a presentation of the same to James Balfour in
Leith. In the year 1611 the session, being desired to build a hospital at Leith, purchased from the said James Balfour the whole benefice of
St. James, as appears from his resignation in the King’s hands dated 24th September 1611, and Instrument following thereon ; confirmed
in 1614 by the Golden Charter. The narrative proceeds to state that it does not appear by the records of the session in what year they did build the hospital or what the funds were out of which it was built, but it seems to have been done by the session’s money and from certain mortifications; and to have been built about the year 1620, as appears, by an inscription upon one of the windows of the hospital, and by a record of the Session, 23rd February 1626. In the Calendar of state papers mention is made about this time of a charter granted by King James for funding the hospital, the lands of St. Anton’s being directed to be used for this purpose. The only other support that appears to have been given by the King is the reversionary grant of the impost of £4 Scots per tun upon all wine vented in Leith after the
building of the kirk and steeple and plenishing it with bells, and after building the Tolbooth, as appears by the grant itself, dated 7th April
1613. The narrative refers to other endowments of the hospital, in particular the 5.5 acres of land in the east end of the Links (now Seafield Cemetery) mortified by Bishop Lamb ; and the 6 acres at Hillhousefield mortified by George Thomson, maltman, conjectured to be the person who was first master of the hospital. For many years not more than 5 or 6 old people were maintained in the hospital, but this number at the time of the narrative had increased to 13 persons chosen from the trades, malt-men and traffickers. The narrative conchides with a statement of the funds of the hospital, the last item of which is the impost on wine valued at £60.

South Leith Records-1925

Some Text