The History of Leith

October 7, 2010

Reconstruction of Preston Tower, home of the ‘haughty Hamiltons’

Just off the B1361 road through the East Lothian village of Prestonpans, within the bounds of the ancient Preston village, sits the surprisingly intact and unusual remains of the L-plan keep of Preston Tower raised by the Hamilton family in the 1450’s. The name Preston means ‘Priest town’ since originally the land was owned by the monks of Newbattle Abbey in Dalkeith. Preston Tower seems a lone, minor keep. However, it is but one in a chain of some ten Hamilton strongholds running from Brodick Castle on the Isle of Arran in the west over to Innerwick Castle near Dunbar in the east. for more click here

Some Text