The History of Leith

May 24, 2010

Spiers Place


Click on Image to enlarge
(c) john Arthur

The derivation of this street has not been found. It came into existence in 1875 under a Leith improvement scheme when the new street 50 feet wide and 3/4 mile long was made from Junction Street to Tolbooth Wynd, since called Henderson Street. It was made through what was regarded at that time as an unhealthy area and 18 of the most unsanitary closes were cleared away. There may have been a Spiers close here at one time but no evidence exists of this.

Some Text