The History of Leith

May 21, 2010

Lindsay place


Click on Image
(c) John Arthur

Part of the Leith Fort redevelopment named thus simply because it was located off Lindsay Road. Named from William Lindsay, Provost of Leith in 1860.

From Wm. Lindsay, S.S.C. Provost of Leith 1860, who affected various improvements, removing the “man trap” (q.v. appx) beside xi Fort, and making this new road, which bear his name. Projector of the “Lindsay Act”. The General Police and Improvement Scotland Act, 1862 and reviser thereof and died 1884, Irons, ii. 531. t.t. 1372.

Some Text