The History of Leith

May 19, 2010

Lapicide Place


Click to enlarge
(c) John Arthur

This street was constructed about 1827 to the rear of the former Leith Fort. It is shown in the Edinburgh Street Directory of 1855 as Lapside Place. Lap, To environ; applied to the surrounding of a place with armed men, in order to besiege. The name could have originated thus because Leith Fort was built to withstand a siege by Admiral John Paul Jones.

Some Text