The History of Leith

May 6, 2010

ST BERNARD’S WELL

According to tradition, St. Bernard’s Well near Stockbridge in Edinburgh was re-discovered by three Heriot’s school boys while fishing in the Water of Leith in 1760. Legend has it that it was originally discovered by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, the founder of the Cistercian Order, in the 12th Century. After being poorly received at court, and suffering from a sickness, he went to live in a cave near the Water of Leith. There, he was attracted to the spring by the birds which visited it and he drank its healing waters until his strength returned. for more click here

Some Text