The History of Leith

October 27, 2009

Greenside Parish Church

This pleasant side of the Calton Hill, known as the “green side”, is an area of historical interest. In 1518 ground was conferred to “the Freris Carmelitis for theyre Chapel of Holy Cross”. After the reformation the buildings fell into neglect. Although not one stone of this foundation remains, an official of the Carmelites in Rome, until recent times, still bore the title “Il Padre Priori Di Greenside”. for more click here

Some Text