The History of Leith

September 26, 2009

Fisher’s Close-High Street,Edinburgh

IMG_6586
Click to enlarge
(c) John Arthur

Edgar. Ainslie. Kirkwood. Kerr. Shown as Hamilton’s Close (probable),Prot. A.W. 3, 21/8/1707. It was named from Fisher’s land in the close,Reg. 9/3/1743. Thomag Fisher, merchant, built a great tenement on the south side of the Lawnmarket, Prot. W.F.5, 5/12/1752, apparently rebuilding a tenement owned formerly by Thos.Cant, of Sanct Geillic Grange, Prot. A.W. 7, 20/10/1725. He was probably the Thos. Fisher who was sent by the Royal Burghs in 1595 on a fiscal mission to the French Court, o.e.c. iii. 197. Fisher’s Close seems to have been called Hamilton’s Close, which contained Cant’s land, at the foot of the close, on the west-side, on the south side of the Landmarket, bounded on the north by Fisher’s land, Reg. 3/5/1861, and to have been so named from Hamilton’s alias Hopeton’s land, on the north side of the Cowgatehead, at the foot of the Old Bank Close, opposite the Magdalen Chapel, and owned sometime by Mr. James Hamilton, Reg. 3/5/1861. It is described as a property on the west of Baillie’s Close, owned at. one time by Thomas Hope of Craighall, who rebuilt the house, and by the heirs of John Hamilton, minister in Edinburgh, Prot. G.H.4, 4/8/1714. Kerr shows Fisher’s Close as a thoroughfare to the Cowgate – the whole seems to have been called Hamilton’s Close also. There was property on the west side of Baillie’s Close, owned in succession by heirs of John Wardlaw: Wm. Little: Thos. Hope of Craighall, who rebuilt the house: and the heirs of John Hamilton, minister in Edinburgh, Prot. G.H.4, 4/8/1714. Hamilton’s alias Hopeton’s land was at the foot of the Old Bank Close, opposite the Magdalen Chapel, owned sometime by Mr. Jas. Hamilton, Reg. 3 21/5/1861.
Source-Edinburgh Street Derivation

Some Text